nv-l

Re: [TEC] SNMP port 162

2001-07-12 13:16:52
Subject: Re: [TEC] SNMP port 162
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS AT us.tivoli DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:16:52 -0400
Theoretically it is possible but I wouldn't recommend it.

The NetView box will be busy using SNMP a lot and it makes little sense to
have the TEC SNMP adapter involved there.
I would install it on another box and have trapd forward traps there.

If you have to install them on the same box then you will have to have
trapd own 162 and set the SNMP_TRAP port in the adapter's config file to
some unused port on you system and have trapd forward the traps to his own
box at that port.

See the man page on trapd for information on how to configure trapd to
forward traps.
Note that the SNMP TEC adapter cannot forward, that is why he has to get
everything from trapd or you have to have your network devices send to him
also on an alternate box.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Pieter_Van_Cauwenberghe AT csi DOT [email protected] on 07/12/2001 01:19:31 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com