nv-l

Re: Netview 6.0.2 Unix vs NT

2001-05-31 14:06:08
Subject: Re: Netview 6.0.2 Unix vs NT
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:06:08 -0400
Personally, I think that  going to the NT version from UNIX is a very bad
idea.  You cannot migrate anything.  You have to completely install NetView
for Windows NT and customize it from scratch.  Version 6.0.2  will run
under Windows 2000 but so what?  At 30,000 objects most boxes are going to
be completely used up trying to keep up, and you lose some functionality
(most ruleset processing is not supported, for example).     A lot of what
you are used to is slightly different on NT and most users find the
differences frustrating if they are used to UNIX.   Much of the underlying
differences are due to differences in the OS, which are not at all alike.
NT is notoriously difficult to customize or tune.

But as both versions of NetView are shipped on the same CD, why couldn't
you find a test NT box and install the NT Version and get a feel for it
yourself before deciding? You could even do that with V5 (NT -only, not
W2K), couldn't you?

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Jorge Jiles <Jorge.Jiles AT ualberta DOT ca>@tkg.com on 05/31/2001 01:32:52 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com