nv-l

Confirmation of Netview pinging

2001-05-30 16:39:22
Subject: Confirmation of Netview pinging
From: "Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig AT principal DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:39:22 -0500
Hi.  We are running Netview 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.  We are wanting to move to a more
proactive approach to problem notifications.  Our hope is to ping
servers/hubs/switches/routers and generate events when they aren't reachable.
This would make use of the Netview features to reduce the "noisy" pages, etc.
In preparation for this, I was running some numbers and would like some input
to see if I am flawed somewhere:

Average response time for pings = 40ms (includes LAN and WAN)
Total devices to ping 1700. (and growing at about 30 per month)
# outstanding pings = 10 (Is this true?  Does it affect my numbers?  If so,
how?)
Retries = 0
Timeout = 1 sec
One Netview machine.

Netview could only ping 2 devices per second for a total of 120 per minute.
1700 / 120 = 14 minutes to complete one ping cycle.

So this would mean that using this method, we would only find out about a down
device after 14 minutes at best?  I don't think anybody would accept this long
of a window.

Assuming the above is true, it appears that it is time for use to look into a
different Netview architecture that could achieve our goals?

I'm just looking for some insight into how Netview pings and if my numbers are
even reasonable, etc.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Craig