nv-l

Re: Events from unmanaged nodes

2001-05-14 08:15:37
Subject: Re: Events from unmanaged nodes
From: pweischer AT mmm DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:15:37 +0200

I use the 'default' map only. The events I am talking about are NetView events.
What could be wrong?

Regards

Peter Weischer

Event Monitor entry:
05/14/01 12:57:37 PM,Critical,DEDD100170,Interface 169.5.19.86 down.
CRITICAL,,1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3,58916867,Netmon-related,

ovobjprint output:
D:\usr\nv_config>ovobjprint -s DEDD100170
                OBJECTID                SELECTION NAME

OBJECT: 660

        FIELD ID        FIELD NAME                      FIELD VALUE
        10              Selection Name                  "DEDD100170"
        11              IP Hostname                     "DEDD100170"
        14              OVW Maps Exists                 1
        15              OVW Maps Managed                0
        73              IP Status                       Unmanaged(5)
        76              isIPRouter                      FALSE
        99              IP Name                         "DEDD100170"
        103             vendor                          Unset(0)
        114             isNode                          TRUE
        116             isComputer                      TRUE
        117             isConnector                     FALSE
        119             isBridge                        FALSE
        120             isRouter                        FALSE
        121             isHub                           FALSE
        141             isDHCPClient                    FALSE
        147             isIP                            TRUE
        170             manually_managed                FALSE
        172             isSNMPSupported                 FALSE
        178             SNMPAgent                       Unset(0)
        215             TopM Interface Count            1
        221             TopM Interface List             "169.5.19.86 Down
169.5.19.86     255.255.248.0   <None>
   other               "
        244             XXMAP Protocol List             "IP"

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Leslie Clark" |
|        |          <lclark AT us DOT ibm.|
|        |          com>           |
|        |                         |
|        |          14.05.2001     |
|        |          06:27          |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to IBM NetView |
|        |          Discussion     |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |     To:     IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>                  |
  |     cc:     (bcc: Peter Weischer/GE-Europe/3M/US)                  |
  |     Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Events from unmanaged nodes            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------|

Let's be clear about this. If a node is unmanaged IN ALL MAPS, then
there will be NO interface up/down events generated. This is true on
NT as well as on AIX. If you are getting Netview events for unmanaged
nodes, you must therefore have more than one map, and the nodes
are managed in at least one of those maps.

If you have thousands of unwanted workstations, you can exclude
them from discovery by using a seedfile; you can also umanaged
them.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

John Nicholson <jnicholson AT epo DOT org>@tkg.com on 05/09/2001 06:05:33 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com