nv-l

Re: NetView trap load

2001-05-03 07:47:53
Subject: Re: NetView trap load
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 07:47:53 -0400
Changing to Ignore does nothing to reduce the work load on trapd.  It just
suppresses logging which is the last thing that is done.  90% of the work
still remains, and worse yet, trapd is not processing your important traps
while he is busy dealing with the trash, so everything is delayed.

Your only solution to this problem if you cannot reduce the flow is to
implement an MLM as a trap receiver, and have him forward to NetView only
what you deem important.  Use him to filter what trapd gets.  If you are
careful you can implement them both on the same box by changing the ports
trapd listens to.

Doesn't your management care about the wasted bandwidth and denial of
service to your real users that floods of worthless traps cause?  That kind
of argument is usually more persuasive.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ AT banksa.com DOT au>@tkg.com on 05/03/2001 03:27:06 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com