nv-l

RE: Forwarding events to TEC

2001-04-19 10:57:31
Subject: RE: Forwarding events to TEC
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:57:31 -0400
Keeping in mind Jame's frequent admonition against the over-use of
Smartsets
in rules (nvcorrd beats up on nvcold beats up on ovwdb), it seems to me
that after
the rule has verified that it is an event to be forwarded, you could check
membership
in a Smartset that is based on subnet. That is one of the little-used
flavors, but it is the
only way for a Smartset to group nodes based on address - since address is
field on interfaces, not on nodes. So you could make a Smartset (switch
from Attribute
to Subnet at the top of the dialog) where the node is in subnet 10.10.10.0
OR
10.10.20.0 OR 10.10.50.0. Membership will be dynamic that way.

The low-overhead way of doing this, of course, is to unmanage or better yet
prevent the
discovery of things in those subnets.

But do watch the performance. I tend to use smartsets a lot, and I do see
the impact
that James warned about. It shows up as high cpu for nvcorrd, nvcold, and
ovwdb, and
long queues.  But if you have the resources, I would use a subnet smartset.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT [email protected] on 04/19/2001 08:47:16 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com