nv-l

Re: submap Icons, and Severity Levels,

2001-02-25 03:03:26
Subject: Re: submap Icons, and Severity Levels,
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:03:26 -0500
Some comments below.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

Montoya Vincent-O10501 <Vincent.Montoya AT motorola DOT com>@tkg.com on
02/19/2001
12:09:06 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com

To:   "'IBM NetView Discussion'" <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
cc:
Subject:  [NV-L] submap Icons, and  Severity Levels,

>AIX Version 4.3
>NetView Version 6.0
>Seed file with non-snmp and snmp enabled agents. No ranges (wildcards) are
>specified.
>Mid-Level Management is beeing implemented.

>Problem(s):
>The submap for my MLM does not reflect the nodes that are reporting to
them.
>I've tried cycling netmon and all other NetView processes but this did not
>work. Also, I have one MLM that shows up with a blank icon. I had to
update
>the seed file to flag it as snmp enabled and then I cycled netmon but it
>still shows up as a blank icon.

First make sure you have snmp write access to the MLM systems. There were
problems with this for certain levels of snmp on AIX (are your MLMs on
AIX?) in 4.3.3. The instructions for handling this came from Support and
I posted them on this forum a while back. Have your AIX people look them
over. And try a simple snmp set function on each MLM  using the MIB
browser to make sure it is working and the community is set correctly.
For instance, walk down to the sysLocation fields and try to set it.
Second, I believe APM is enabled on your Netview server. In that case,
to assign management responsibility to the MLMs, you should only need
to customize the Smartset definitions for those MLMs. This information
is supposed to be pushed to the MLMs automatically, but may take a
stop/start of netmon. Make sure the midmand process is running on each
MLM. To get netmon to dump a report in netmon.trace, use
   netmon -a 50     (list of nodes & intefaces managed by mlms)
   netmon -a 102   (list of  mlms and managed interfaces)
If you are seeing a generic square for a node running MLM, then it is very
likely that you don't even have read access, let alone write.

>Is there a one to one mapping between NetViews severity levels found in
the
>trap customization setup (options->event configuration->trap
customization)
>and T/EC severities?
>e.g.
>major-fatal, critical-critical, minor-warning
>If so, is there a way to change it?

Netview and T/EC have different severity settings. In the event config
dialog in Netview (Options.. Event) for a selected Netview event there
is a button for T/EC Slot Mappings. The T/EC severity field can be
configured there.

----In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity----
                      Albert Einstein
Vincent Montoya
IT Systems Engineer
Motorola
GCT-Enterprise Systems Management

Email: Vincent.Montoya AT motorola DOT com
Pager: 877-644-6598
Phone: 480-441-2786
Fax: 480-441-5455

----A smile is one wrinkle you don't want to remove----