nv-l

"Re: Web Client required to be Read Only"

2001-02-22 14:13:13
Subject: "Re: Web Client required to be Read Only"
From: "Scherting, Mark" <mscherting AT state.mt DOT us>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:13:13 -0700
Sarah,

If you want to disable mib browsing via the web client, I have a suggestion,
assuming your environment is similar to my AIX 4.3.3, NV6.0.1.

Make a backup copy and edit your /usr/OV/lrf/mibserver.lrf.  Change
OVs_YES_START to OVs_NO_START.  De-register & then re-register mibserver
with ovdelobj mibserver, then ovaddobj mibserver.

Clean the unused garbage from your ovsuf file with smitty nv6000, Maintain,
Reset Startup Files, Remove unused records from ovsuf startup file.

OR,

Clean ovsuf as above, then, after making a backup copy, edit the
0:mibserver: line in your /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf from OVs_YES_START to
OVs_NO_START.

Both tactics prevent the mibserver daemon, required by the web client mib
browser, from starting automatically along with all the other NetView
daemons, or when typing just ovstart.  Web client users will get an "Unable
to connect to server..." message when trying the mib browser. You will still
be able to start it with "ovstart mibserver".

I've resorted to this because of conflicts between Nways 2.1 Element Manager
and the NV6.0.1 web client mib browser; if one works the other doesn't, and
I need Nways more than the web client mib browser.

Credit for this suggestion go to Leslie Clark, who sent it to me for dealing
with my Nways/web mib browser problem.

Mark A. Scherting
State of Montana
Information Services Division