nv-l

Re: My NetView MIB browser won't drill down

2001-02-15 15:09:49
Subject: Re: My NetView MIB browser won't drill down
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:09:49 -0500
I am not sure you are describing broken behavior, so perhaps you should be
more specific about what is happening now and what was happening before.

If you do a Query from the MIB browser and you are not on a "leaf" MIB
value, it will query the node you designated for everything from that point
in the tree down.  It just does "get next" after the first query, so you
need not have anything loaded in the MIB database to get that result.  So
for example, I can get the browser to go to
"iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises" and even though I have no
private MIBs loaded which show up under here, I can still do a "Start
Query" and get the results of what some other box has installed.

If you bring up the loader, then you can see what MIBs have been loaded.
I have seen the case where it is possible to load a "bad" MIB which
redefines the tree and makes previously loaded MIBs unreachable but that is
pretty rare.  So where are you exactly in the tree when you have this
problem and what loaded MIB has a value you think you should see next?  I
am not sure I can help but  your only other alternative is to call to
Support and ship them your snmpmib and snmpmib.bin database files for them
to look at.   You may have to do that anyway if you think it is broken.

One more thing that may be obvious, may be not.  Remember that there are
two MIB loaders and two matching browsers.  What you load by the V1 browser
is not accessible by the V2 browser, and vice-versa.  They have separate
databases in /usr/OV/conf.  So if you load it with xnmloadmib, then you
must browse it with xnmbrowser.  And if you load it with xnmloadmib2,  then
you must browse it with xnmbrowser2.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Matt Ashfield" <mda AT unb DOT ca>@tkg.com on 02/14/2001 10:18:07 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com

cc:
Subject:  [NV-L] My Netview Mib browser won't drill down

Hi All,

I am trying to use my Netview mib browswer to "drill down" into certain
mibs. I've used it before with success. But for some reason now, when I try
to look at any private enterprise mibs, the browser displays nothing when I
click "down tree". However, if I submit a query on the upper-level of that
mib, it will return all information below it in the tree, even though those
fields are not appearing when I try to traverse down the tree...

Any ideas?

Matt
mda AT unb DOT ca