nv-l

Polling file permissions

2001-01-05 09:49:15
Subject: Polling file permissions
From: "Ray Westphal" <rwestphal AT erac DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:49:15 -0600
If you don't have security enabled for your NetView users, then this
friendly reminder will apply to your NetView installation.

Apparently the UNIX NV 6.0 > 6.0.1 upgrade resets the permissions on the
file /usr/OV/databases/openview/topo/polling to 666 or read and write for
everybody.
This affects how the Topology/Status Polling Configuration is displayed.
With r/w for all users none of the Topology/Status Polling options are
"grayed out". Your users can disable little things like:

        Enable Polling and Discovery Settings
        Poll for Status
        Discover new nodes
        Poll for Configuration Changes

One of my users turned of "Discover new nodes" and I couldn't find the
problem. I've been bit by this problem twice now hopefully not a 3rd time.
Security will be enabled shortly.

Good Day!

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car