nv-l

Re: SNMP (the nortel AD question)

2000-12-12 01:48:20
Subject: Re: SNMP (the nortel AD question)
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:48:20 -0500
I've been seeing this on Wellfleets. It seems to be common with them to
have interfaces that are Admin down, Oper up. Wierd. At netmon startup, it
will set them to Admin Down. Then on the next status poll it will figure
out that
they are up, so it will make them up and green. It is the best netmon can
do
with this unexpected combination, and I think it's probably ok. I believe
it
is actually getting monitored. It would not be green if it were not being
polled.
Just don't try to use SNMP status polling with these devices. Stick with
ping.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit