nv-l

Re: FW: CiscWorks2000 and Netview together on one AIX server

2000-11-27 19:00:01
Subject: Re: FW: CiscWorks2000 and Netview together on one AIX server
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ AT banksa.com DOT au>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:30:01 +1030
When I was discussing CiscoWorks with my Cisco rep recently he said that Cisco
were "de-emphasising" all platforms except for NT and Solaris, AIX and HP-UX
were being placed on a "care & maintenance" basis and that their strategic
platform for the future was to be NT. Read into that what you will but it seems
to me that they really want everything running on NT (God help us all!) and
that Unix was a non-event for them.

His personal opinion was that the "logic" behind this direction was the cost of
the supporting hardware and the cost & availability of staff to code on the
various OS'es. Every man and his dog seems to be an NT expert whereas we true
Unix afficiandos are seen to be a dying breed. Obviously I beg to differ but
you can't fight the powers that be.