nv-l

Antw: NetView not deleting interfaces on router which have been reconfigured and are not active

2000-11-16 11:00:02
Subject: Antw: NetView not deleting interfaces on router which have been reconfigured and are not active
From: "Michael Seibold" <Michael.Seibold AT gek DOT de>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:00:02 +0100
It seems as if it "works as designed". All Netview-Versions I know (since 4.x)
have this behavior. First I thought it's a bug, but what if an interface-board
is "dead"? Netview might get the answer from an demand-poll to this device that
"the interface is no longer there" and remove the Icons instead of turning them
red... not very nice, eh?

Removing them manually isn't such a big thing. But there really is a big
problem if you move ip-addresses on the fly: remove the address from one router
and configure the same address on another router. The netview ping to this
address will still be answered (from another router, thought!) and netview will
never remove the address from the first router, so your map will not reflect
the actual network layout! Very hard to deal with, if the guys (or girls ;-))
who are moving the addresses forget to tell you about.

Michael Seibold

>>> shaileshbhai.patel AT eds DOT com 16.11. 16.07 Uhr >>>
Hello All,

        Has anybody run across this problem?

        Two router ports have been reconfigured and they are not active..
Interfaces shows up with old ip address and NetView thinks that they are
down. So it marks them red in map. Shouldn't NetView delete those interfaces
from map if they don't have ip addresses assigned?
        Since we are in a transition mode from OpenView to NetView, We still
have OpenView system which does get reed of those interfaces.

Thanks in advance

Shailesh Patel
Framework Capabilities
Electronic Data Systems
(248) 265-7573 (8-365)
* mailto:Shaileshbhai.Patel AT eds DOT com