nv-l

Re: cisco mib problem

2000-11-08 11:26:08
Subject: Re: cisco mib problem
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:26:08 -0500
Well, first of all, merely loading a MIB in NetView does nothing to define
the trap.  If the MIB contains TRAP-TYPE statements which define traps then
you can use mib2trap to generate addtrap statements to add these traps to
trapd.conf.  So the question becomes, what standard Cisco mib are you
referring to?  The one that ships with NetView 5.1.3 is an old draft one
and contains no TRAP-TYPE statements, so there is nothing for mib2trap to
work on.  I think you need to go our to the Cisco web site and get some
other MIBs or their script for defining their basic set of traps.  If you
look in the archives that has been discussed here before.
ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/traps/
is a good place to start.
You should also know that there is nothing bandaid about defining a trap in
trapd.conf manually when an unknown one comes in.  The trapd.log and the
card display all the variables and the corresponding OIDs so you can do
just that if no MIBs are available.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Duble, Ethan" <Ethan.Duble AT coopertools DOT com> on 11/08/2000 09:29:27 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>