nv-l

Re: NetView MLM Migration Problem

2000-11-08 09:28:05
Subject: Re: NetView MLM Migration Problem
From: Gareth_Holl AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:28:05 -0500
I'm not sure I completely understand your environment but you can eliminate
"environment 1" by configuring all your hosts that are sending these
application traps to forward their traps to a particular NetView Server or
Servers instead of the MLMs. Each remote host is going to have to be
manually configured to forward their traps to somewhere, whether that be an
MLM or a NetView Server.

If you already have all your remote hosts configured to send their traps to
various MLMs and you want the NetView Server in "environment 2" to see
these traps that each MLM is receiving, then you need to configure the
NetView Server in "environment 2" to use MLMs and it will automatically go
out and use the distributed MLM's and should automatically configure the
ones it uses to forward their traps to the NetView Server. You can always
after the NetView Server has started using them.

This is a simplified explanation but the point is to allow the NetView
Server to configure the MLM usage after you turn on the feature and simply
make sure all your remote hosts have their trap destination set correctly
as this is a manual process.

Gareth Holl
Software Engineer
gholl AT tivoli DOT com

Tivoli Systems / IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park,  NC  27703.    1-800-TIVOLI-8

Foss Ray-xrf001 <Ray.Foss AT motorola DOT com> on 11/07/2000 04:59:59 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>