nv-l

Netview status polling and DNS

2000-11-03 08:55:02
Subject: Netview status polling and DNS
From: "McCarter, Bill" <mccarter_we AT nns DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:55:02 -0500
     I'm thinking about installing a DNS server on my Netview box and would
like to know what all the benefits will be.  I know Netview relies on DNS
for performance reasons, but name resolution really doesn't seem to be a
problem right now. I have Netview 6.0.1, a Sun Ultra 60, 1 gig of memory and
5000 devices to monitor. Performance is  good.

My question is, exactly when does Netview make calls to the O.S for name
resolution. To be more specific. During status polling does Netview
require name resolution, or only during discovery, demand polling and ??
what else.

Thanks on advance to the list.