nv-l

Netview changing snmp config by itself

2000-11-02 20:20:01
Subject: Netview changing snmp config by itself
From: "Peter Anderson" <pETERanderson AT westpac.com DOT au>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 12:20:01 +1100
Hi,

We have Netview Unix 6.0.1 on Solaris 2.7.

I've had a problem occur a couple of times where Netview in its infinite
wisdom creates new entries in the ovsnmp.conf_db database for individual
nodes, using Netview defaults but with community names not found anywhere
except in the managed device itself.

For example, we use public for all our read-only monitoring but use say
"xyz" as our read-write community name.

I setup the ovsnmp.conf_db with only static entries for our two Netview
boxes, and either the default or a smartset entry for every other managed
node.

Our default is:

*.*.*.*:public:*:100:2:7200:::604800:604800:86400:10:1:0:1

Our smartset entries are similar but with slightly different timeout
settings, depending on the set.

branch_swch:public:*:200:2:7200:::604800:2419200:86400:1:0:0:0

I've found two occasions where entries are created like:

hostname1:xyz::::::::::::

It's only happened twice, and it has happened when nobody has been using
Netview, just the daemons in the background doing polling.  Entries haven't
been created for EVERY managed node - just some.

Unfortunately, the above settings cause high CPU usage on our smaller Cisco
routers, which I think is due to netmon wanting to get the entire routing
table and with a small timeout, retries occur.

I Netview designed like this and if so why?

Regards,

Peter Anderson
Senior Communications Analyst
Westpac Banking Corporation
Ph:  0011 61 2 99025938
<Remove ETER from my address to reply>

necessarily represent those of Westpac Banking Corporation.