nv-l

AW: Netview Upgrade Questions

2000-11-02 07:40:47
Subject: AW: Netview Upgrade Questions
From: FITZINGER Richard <richard.fitzinger AT it-austria DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:40:47 +0100
We have Netview 6.0.1 and Optivity NMS 9 installed on one AIX box (besides
CiscoWorks2000). We have been living with Optivity since Netview 4 and
Optivity 6. In my opinion Optivity NMS brings a lot of functionality from
which you should choose what you really need. In our case (we have a lot of
Nortel hardware like ARN, ASN, BN, Passport 6000, Centillion, Baystack and
Accelar) we have turned down a couple of functions that are redundant to
Netview or not usable in our environment:
- SuperPing: Because of zero acceptance for Optivity NMS health tools our
techs prefer Netview to observe IP status of components.
- Trap Correlation, Trap Server, etc.: Netview does it better
- "Layer 2"-Tools: hardly used because of our heterogenous Nortel/Cisco
environment.

What we use:
- Expanded View
- Pick out traps from Optivity and configure them in Netview

What we have ever been missing in Optivity:
- quick device support: Was promised for Optivity 9, but...
- Ability to manage ALL Nortel components: We are still forced to install
several releases of Site Manager and to use another platform for the
Passport 6000 and 4430 series. Besides, there is no equivalent to
SpeedView/NT (to configure ATM devices) on UNIX

And, of course, compared to Ciscoworks 2000 or Transcend that thing is very
slow and if you don't customize it your AIX box has a lot to handle.

Actually we have found a piece of FREE software called "Optivity Switch
Manager 1.0" (look at Nortel's website). It shows Layer2 topology for
Accelar/Baystack450 networks (no ATM). From within you could launch "Device
Manager".

If you have a homogenous Nortel environment you could consider using
Optivity 9 even without integration in a management platform. Optivity works
fine on Unix and NT (of course, it depends on your network size). The usage
of Netview AND Optivity costs a couple of decisions what to use from where.
If you have, e.g., only Routers, Accelars and Baystack 450 in your network
you could consider not to choose Optivity NMS at all. The interoperability
of Netview and Optivity stays the same, either if they reside on the same
box or not.

Migration from Netview 5 to 6:
- choose 6.0.1, not 6.0, because of some important fixes!
- use DNS instead of /etc/hosts if you have a large number of node names to
manage
- if you don't want to use communitynames.conf move it away form the conf
directory. else it will cause a lot of unnecessary entries in the
ovsnmp.conf with a (hardcoded) community "public".

As far as I know where have been no changes from 5 to 6 that would influence
the integration of Optivity.

Hope that helps

Richard Fitzinger