nv-l

Re: Not enough memory

2000-08-25 16:29:43
Subject: Re: Not enough memory
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:29:43 -0400

We have lab boxes with smaller amounts of memory than 128M but they are very
lightly used and would not be considered production machines.  But I would think
that would be unsuitable for you.   If you are in the Boulder system center, you
are monitoring one of the biggest and busiest networks in with world -- IBM's.
You are welcome to try whatever you like, but the reason we don't recommend it
is because memory is cheap and performance problems are difficult to solve.  So
the system requirements are written to guarantee that most users will have a
successful NetView experience.   Also they match what is used in Verification to
test with and in Support to diagnose problems.  The Level 2 folks in particular
need a stake in the ground so they can be reasonably certain that the box an do
what the customer  says he's having a problem with.  Do you follow?

So how big a network are you going to monitor?  How many users or GUIs do you
plan to have?  How much use will it get?   Are you willing to run without any
additional apps?  Without Netscape?  Without the CDE?   Without event windows
(nvevents uses 80% of the cpu and memory to run the GUI, according to the
Tivoli Performance Lab)?  You have to give up something to squeeze in a smaller
box.  And the less real memory you have the more paging space you will require.
But don't expect sizing help here.  You are on your own.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Sean F Moore/Boulder/IBM" <mooresea AT US.IBM DOT COM> on 08/25/2000 03:33:54
PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>