nv-l

RE: Ruleset for Downed Nortel Rtr

2000-08-16 15:14:56
Subject: RE: Ruleset for Downed Nortel Rtr
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:14:56 -0400

First, it sounds like your ruleset is not written to be run in the background
and you may have caused the entire events process to backup by just taking a
rule written for the foreground and sticking it in the background.   Do netstat
-a and look for sockets which have part of "nvcorrd" in their name.  Do they
have large numbers in their Send and Receive queues?  If so, then things are
backed up and have to be cleared.   ovstop actionsvr should do that.  But don't
restart it until you have fixed the problem.

 The actionsvr cannot run rulesets for very long which have a Forward in them or
have the initial node set to PASS, as this will cause events, rather than
actions, to be sent to him.  He knows how to process actions -- he builds a
script environment and runs them --  but he has no display to display events on.
Since he cannot display them, they will just sit on his socket until it backs
up.  Then nvcorrd's socket will back up also, and the entire  events process
will grind to a halt.    Hopefully this rule you are using looks something like
this:
initial event stream node (set to BLOCK) -->  other nodes for logic   -->
action node to log  --> Forward
If so, then all you need do is make a copy of it and remove the Forward from the
copy and use that in ESE.automation.  Once that is in place, then you can
ovstart actionsvr again.

Second, you can look in /usr/OV/log/nvaction.alog and blog to see what happens
when actionsvr gets the log action and see if there are any errors there.
Remember that a daemon does not have your defaults, so if you were using a
relative path name, you may have to specify a full one, and so on.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Dean Sullinger <DSullinger AT dot.state.az DOT us> on 08/16/2000 02:31:50 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>