nv-l

RE: Netview map / Ciscoworks 2000 map question?

2000-08-09 13:53:18
Subject: RE: Netview map / Ciscoworks 2000 map question?
From: "Robert J Rossi" <rrossi AT erac DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:53:18 -0500
To simplify how Netview works is it looks a the network from an IP
perspective. CiscoWorks 2000 uses a proprietary protocol called CDP to
discover devices and their connectivity to each other. As far as your
question about having Netview have more of a physical representation it
could not be accomplished. For example one of our 6509 switches has many
connections on the network but since it is a switch the only representation
of it on Netview is from it's management address. With that it shows up in
Netview on that segment and only that segment even though many different
segments containing many devices are controlled by the 6509. In CiscoWorks
you will see all of the segments going into that device.

Robert J. Rossi, BSCS
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
NetView Admin
rrossi AT erac DOT com