nv-l

RE: Problems using NetView 6.0 for Unix

2000-07-27 21:48:00
Subject: RE: Problems using NetView 6.0 for Unix
From: Gareth_Holl AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:48:00 -0400

What are your SNMP config settings ? Try doing an snmpwalk to the node which you
are demand polling and check its performance (use both ip address and hostname).
Do you have  RES_TRY=1 and RES_TIMEOUT=1 in your environment to reduce the delay
of NetView's operation because of poor DNS operation - this might highlight
whether it is a DNS issue or not.

While you are demand polling, is NetView, and in particular netmon, busy with
anything else and thus the demand poll is being put off ? Is it discovering or
is netmon busy with status polling (check your netmon ping and pingwait lists:
"netmon -a 11" and "netmon -a 12" - output is dumped to the
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace file.

Regarding having a low "number of route entries" in your snmp config, I believe
this may have a limiting effect on NetView's discovery of a network as it will
be restricted on what is can learn from Router's ARP tables. I am not sure if
daily snmp config checks would also be affected - probably not but new
discoveries may also be prevented.

Gareth Holl

Tivoli Systems / IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park,  NC  27703.    1-800-TIVOLI-8

"Fendrick, Gib (CC-Platform Dev)" <Gib.Fendrick AT conagra DOT com> on
07/27/2000
07:26:24 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>