nv-l

Netview Database Problem.

2000-06-19 11:54:13
Subject: Netview Database Problem.
From: "Jewan, P. (Pritesh)" <PriteshJ AT nedcor DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:54:13 +0200
Hello People,

We are currently running AIX v4.2.1 and Netview V5.1.2. A few months back we
ran into a problem with a large value_info.pag file problem and Leslie
supplied a procedure for converting the database using the nvTurbodatabase
command. The command was successfully run on our development machine which
had the same database as our production machine. After we were happy with
the
conversion we tar'ed the database directory and restored on our production
machine, ran the reset_ci and restarted the daemons and
everything worked fine. Now, a few months later, we decided to put the
environment into autodiscovery(we had a static seedfile). The  following is
a sample of our new seedfile:

xx.xx.xx.xx

      |              = Loopback addresses of all our routers

     \/
xx.xx.xx.xx

@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.23.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.32.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.36.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.45.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.*

Once everything was working we again made the changes on our production
machine. We have recently started to notice problems on our production
machine ie netmon hanging, demand polls taking long to complete etc. However
the development machine is working fine
and the development reflects the production machine( in terms of if's
software configuration). Upon further investigations we noticed the
following files been different in the database directory:

Development:

/usr/OV/databases/openview/ovwdb/current/value_info.ovf     Size = 35867220

Production:

/usr/OV/databases/openview/ovwdb/current/value_info.ovf     Size = 99364404

The second problem is that if I run the netmon -a xx command, the
development has the correct amount of devices that are been pinged
in it's ping list, but the production machine's ping list contains ip
addresses of all the stub entries and seems to be pinging them.

Q1) Can anyone tell me what the above file is for and why the one is larger
that the other, when box machines are configured exactly
      the same ?

Q2) Are there any implication on copying the new format database from one
machine and restoring on another machine or should I have
      run the nvTurboDatabase command separately on both of my machines ?

Regards
Pritesh Jewan
ESM - Technology & Operations Division
Nedcor Bank Limited (South Africa)