nv-l

RE: Netview 6.0 and Ciscoworks

2000-06-16 09:30:26
Subject: RE: Netview 6.0 and Ciscoworks
From: "Patel, Shaileshbhai B" <shaileshbhai.patel AT eds DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:30:26 -0400
Hello,

    I have integrated NetView on Solaris with CISCO on Solaris. Both are on
different servers. Here is what integration does.

    1).    Adds the menu button for CISCO application in NetView main
console. Besides "Tools" menu.
    2).    Adds CISCO icons on maps. CISCO has their own icons for routers
and switches. This is good because by just
            looking at the icon on map you can tell what kind of a
router/switch it is.
    3).    You can select the router and then from Menu you can select what
application of CISCO you want to bring up
            from NetView (Like CISCOView 5.X or RME Device center etc).
    4).    It compiles latest CISCO mibs on NetView server. You have to add
traps yourself.

    This is the problem that I ran across.

    If you are integrating NetView and Cisco which are on different servers.
Cisco provides Solaris integration utility which you
     have to install first on your NetView server. This utility has a bug
which prevents it being installed on NetView
    server. What this utility does is installs necessary Cisco files and JRE
on NetView server, those are required to integrate
    Cisco into NetView. The work around is to mount /opt/CISCOpx directory
from your Cisco server onto NetView server.
     And then execute "nmic.sh" script in /opt/CSCOpx/bin, which works well.

    I tested this with both software on Solaris. I have no idea how it will
work with both softwares on different platforms.
    Please share your experience with us.

Shailesh Patel
Enterprise Management Services
Electronic Data Systems