nv-l

RE: Ruleset Approach for Quad NIC

2000-06-14 10:58:50
Subject: RE: Ruleset Approach for Quad NIC
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:58:50 -0400

I don't see how you would generate a trap without a script which issues some
command like snmptrap.  If all you want to do is to send that event to TEC
(Tivoli Event Console -- which is what I take you to mean by TEK -- if not,
please explain) then I think the TEC wpostemsg command would do that for you.
Perhaps some other user has done something like this and can provide you a
sample.  I have none.

I also think that you will need a script to do the other processing you want.
Since the four IP addresses are completely independent, there is nothing to tie
them together except your knowledge of what they are.  And since one of them
could be down for days before the others fail, I don't see how you could do
anything with a Pass-On-Match or a Reset-On-Match, which require you to specify
a maximum time period to hold the "down" event.

So I think that your ruleset will have to block everything except a NetView
Interface Down trap, and use the Event Attribute Node to determine if they come
from the right box, and then kick off a script in an Action node which will ping
each of the 4 addresses in succession and if all the pings fail, issue the
wpostemsg.
I don't see any other solution.  Perhaps someone else does.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"James H. Mapp" <jhmapp AT dimension DOT net> on 06/14/2000 10:02:22 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>