nv-l

Re: Netmon errorring out

2000-06-12 13:44:50
Subject: Re: Netmon errorring out
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:44:50 -0400

You are making some assumptions here which may not be warranted.  A
netmon-related application disconnecting from trapd is not the same thing as
netmon itself dying.  The message from trapd should also have a process id
associated with it which you can use with ps  to determine what process that is.
Generally speaking this message means that some application which opens a
session to trapd is not removing traps from his queue fast enough and so trapd
is closing his session.  But netmon will not die from this alone, at least in
current code.   You did not tell us what level you are running, or even what
platform.  I am assuming you are in UNIX at least at 5.1.2.

When netmon itself does die, you need to check /usr/OV/PD/cores/netmon and see
if you have a core file.  And you need to check ovstatus o get the last message
and exit code that netmon left.  And finally you may need to check the
netmon.trace or turn it on to see what netmon is/was doing at the time of
failure.  And finally, you should open a problem to Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Robertson, Jim" <jim.robertson AT eds DOT com> on 06/12/2000 01:18:33 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>