nv-l

Re: Question concerning Netview Event History Window???

2000-06-06 17:25:18
Subject: Re: Question concerning Netview Event History Window???
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 17:25:18 -0400

I've given this some more thought, and I'll bet we have a terminological problem
here.  You said "Events HIstory" but I'll bet you don't mean that.  I'm betting
that what you really mean is the standard (current) events window, the one you
get when you start the GUI or type in "nvevents" from the command line.  Events
History is a different application all together.

Anyway, I seriously doubt if your two boxes are really identical, because then
they would both be forwarding to TEC.  Are they really?  Even if they are, I'll
also bet that the test box doesn't get nearly the same volume of traps that the
production one does, correct?

In any case if nvserverd is using 50% of the cpu, then he is one busy boy, and
that can only mean that  (a) traps are coming in at a fairly rapid rate, and
that he has multiple event windows he's trying to send to, and I'll wager that
he is also having difficulty sending to TEC, as well.   Are you sure that TEC
events are not being cached in /etc/Tivoli/TEC/cache?  Are you sure that the
last event you see in trapd.log that should be forwarded to TEC  is not in the
cache and that you can see it with wtdumprl over on the TEC?   Because if you
have TEC transmission problems that will most definitely slow nvserverd down to
crawl and could produce the symptoms you are seeing.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com on 06/06/2000 04:30:33 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>