nv-l

RE: Map Question

2000-05-26 08:42:33
Subject: RE: Map Question
From: ronnie.ross AT springs DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:42:33 -0400
We have arranged in DNS to have the router name resolve ONLY to the Sync
interface nearest NetView.  Our naming standard is xxx_yy_zzz.
Where xxx is the site, yy is wire closet, zzz is device type.  If we have
more than one site in the same city, we drop back to 2 letters and add a
number.  This has worked well with around 200+ remote sites.  The 3 letter
site name in most cases makes sense and non network people can guess as to
where the site realy is.  It would be GREAT if we could add a name or IP
address into the location.conf file and let NetView move them to the right
location icon.

We know ahead of time before a site goes live, what the site is to be
called and could add router name into the location.conf file.

Question 1.  Does netmon upon discovery of a new network first look in
location.conf file every time before it adds the network to the map?  So I
could just edit the location.conf file, save it, and it works?  Or do I
have to cycle netmon to pickup changes in location.conf?

Question 2.  When I discovered our network,  I had ALOT of 0.0.0.0 network
icons that I guess came from each Frame Relay interface.  We do not have IP
at the port, but put IP on each PVC.  IS THIS NORMAL?  I deleted them since
they were not attached to anything.  Others eventually connected to a
router but NEVER between routers, so these I also deleted.

Ronnie Ross
Network Engineer

                    lclark AT us DOT ibm

                    .com                 To:     NV-L AT tkg DOT com

                    Sent by:             cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tk        Subject:     RE: [NV-L] Map Question

                    g.com

                    05/25/00

                    08:49 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

On the question of 'floaters', this is a bug. The fix should be in V6.01
but in the meantime, you need to remember to do an ovtopofix before
using a new map created with a location.conf file.

As to what good this is if the routers are still on the IP Internet submap,
this might be a good forum for discussion of what development should
do next with this feature. The easy thing to handle first was networks.
For most places I see, having the network inside a location icon makes
it easier to know where to put the routers. I can see what they are
attached
to, and then I can move them much more quickly. Now what? It could be
tricky knowing where to put the routers based on address. They could
be discovered by any of their interfaces. So the question is, how would
you like this to work? By hostname? By hostnames with wildcards?
Think about it generate some input.

As a practical matter at this stage, I really like to see a customer who
has a naming convention that includes sites. Then I can locate nodes
by Selection Name, View...Highlights....Select Highligts, and then
cut from the IP internet submap and paste in the Location submap
even if they are so tiny that I cannot select them with the mouse.
(The trick is to have a Smartset of isLocation, so you can open those
easily!)

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

"MERY Olivier (Neuilly Gestion)" <olivier.mery AT cetelem DOT fr>@tkg.com on
05/25/2000 01:49:22 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com