nv-l

Re: Trapd.log Stops Logging

2000-05-19 09:33:05
Subject: Re: Trapd.log Stops Logging
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 09:33:05 -0400

How do you know events are coming in if it is not logging?

The only reason that they might not be logged when they come in is because they
are being sent too fast.
When trapd is in a "trap storm" he has no time to do any thing but queue up the
incoming traps until the storm subsides and he has time to process.   When this
is the case, you should see trapd grow and grow in size.  But you can determine
what is happening better by starting the trapd trace.  Just type "trapd -T" from
the command line,  and this toggles the trace on and off.  If all you see in the
trapd.trace is that events are being queued, then that is your problem, and you
will have to turn off the sending of traps by some of your external agents,
until trapd can recover.

I would also plan on calling Support since there is something fundamentally
wrong with your network design if this is happening.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Yean Tai Chew" <yeantai AT geocities DOT com> on 05/18/2000 09:57:29 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>