nv-l

Re: Using the proxy in the xnmsnmpconf

2000-05-15 10:20:23
Subject: Re: Using the proxy in the xnmsnmpconf
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:20:23 -0400

Right, Leslie.

A proxy is someone who stands in for someone else.  But even people cannot be
proxies unless you give them power of attorney.  SNMP proxies are the same.
They need to have been told they are proxies and code which knows how to
respond.  A good example is the gateway to a Novell network.  The Novell network
boxes don't have an SNMP agent so they cannot be queried directly, but Novell
supplies code so that their server will act as a proxy and respond for them.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

lclark AT us.ibm DOT com on 05/14/2000 12:09:01 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>