nv-l

Re: AW: nvcorrd exited on signal 4

2000-05-15 10:13:28
Subject: Re: AW: nvcorrd exited on signal 4
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:13:28 -0400

Uwe -

Just what exactly does this mean?

> We have the same problem since Version 5.1. The support can't help today.

Tivoli Support will accept this as a valid problem to work on and do their
absolute best to help you, or Greg, or whomever reports it.  I am sorry if you
did not get the help you thought you deserved in the past, but I work on nvcorrd
and I have never seen a PMR with this description from you or anyone else I am
aware of.

When did you open it and with whom did you speak?  Did it ever make it "over
here" from Germany?

As far as I know, this is a new problem, and should be called in to Support.
But you should put on 5.1.3, as this the level of code you will have to be at to
receive any efixes. And there were changes to nvcorrd in 5.1.3 to handle cores
caused when rulesets shut down.  So that level may be what you need to solve
your problem.

To answer Greg's question, a signal 4 is an "illegal instruction" which usually
results from some kind of memory problem, an overlay for example, which turns
the stack into garbage.  You might also get one if your system restrcts the
amount of memory you can have and your process needs more, which is why in 5.1
you need to set the ulimits.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Uwe Richter <Uwe.Richter AT synthesis DOT de> on 05/15/2000 04:15:00 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>