nv-l

CNAT Program

2000-05-11 16:23:33
Subject: CNAT Program
From: "Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott AT westgroup DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 15:23:33 -0500
Does anyone have experience with the Tivoli CNAT program?  Supposedly this
sits on top of NetView and deals with "duplicate" addresses.  Specifically,
I am looking for a way to configure NV so that it only discovers a
(potentially duplicate) private address on a single managed node rather than
on a non-desired managed node.

For example, we have some customers where we manage a single serial
interface on a router, but do not control or manage their LAN interfaces.
Some of these customers use private addressing and these private addresses
in some cases are the same as reachable and desirably-managed private
interfaces on other servers on our own LAN.  However, NetView seems to
periodically delete these interfaces from the nodes we want to manage and
move them to the router where we don't want to manage the LAN interfaces
(only a single serial interface).

Will CNAT resolve this problem?  If not, how do we get around this?  What
other functions does CNAT provide?  The blurb on the Tivoli web site is very
brief and not very helpful.

Joe Prokott
Network Architect
West Group
phone:  651-687-4536
e-mail: joe.prokott AT westgroup DOT com