nv-l

RE: Monitoring Servers...

2000-05-03 13:08:37
Subject: RE: Monitoring Servers...
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber AT usaa DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 12:08:37 -0500
I'm not very familiar with how all of the Patrol components work together.
I'm like you in the sense that "the info that I was given" is that
PatrolView receives the Patrol Alarms from the Patrol Agent running on the
NT or UNIX (AIX/Solaris) server.  There is integration between PatrolView
and TEC (I think it's some Tivoli component that allows the Patrol Alarms to
be converted into TEC Events).

Whether or not PatrolView integrates with NetView I do not know.  It's not
important to us because we try to keep our NetView limited to managing
network devices, which in our case is about 98% Cisco routers and switches.
Servers are not "allowed" to be managed by our NetView system unless they
are critical to the network, e.g. firewall servers, the NMS servers
themselves, etc.

The TEC is used at the "Enterprise" level by our NOC for notification of
events from ALL event sources.  PatrolView is used to view events ONLY from
Patrol agents; the NOC has access to it, but it's primarily for the NT/UNIX
server support staff.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber AT USAA DOT com    "
http://www.usaa.com