nv-l

Re: Variable subnet Masks and netview

2000-04-18 11:06:53
Subject: Re: Variable subnet Masks and netview
From: "David E. Dimond" <dimond AT allina DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:06:53 -0500

W.M.de.Bruin AT DNB DOT NL wrote:

> Dave,
>
> We do use the 32-bit mask for one of those "special situations". The loopback
> interfaces on the routers are given these "host" adresses.
> We cannot apply the 255.255.255.192 mask on them, because then all the routers
> will be in the same subnet??

Hmmmmmm......  I think I see what you're getting at.  Do I understand
correctly that you are using 10.1.0.1-62 for loopbacks with the 32
bit mask?  And that you are using the 10.1.0.65-254 range - using
the 30 bit mask - for the point to point links?

If this is the case, I'm unsure as to what problem you would be
having with Netview - so long as you are discovering your routers
by loopback address.

Perhaps you could clarify as your original message leads me to
believe that Netview is for some reason applying a 30 bit mask
against an address that in fact has the 32 bit mask.  Which sounds
like a discovery problem or some such...

Dave