nv-l

Re: Netview Seed File with oid's

2000-03-30 20:06:16
Subject: Re: Netview Seed File with oid's
From: "Karin Binder" <karin.binder AT nwa DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:06:16 -0600
We also use a seedfile listing our routers, switches and other critical
devices, and face the same issues of rapid growth, many
moves/adds/changes/deletes, and delayed or missing notification of such
changes.  I too am interested in learning how others are dealing with this.

I've been contemplating a way to automate the seedfile updates, but have not
had a chance to test it yet.  My plan is to set up a rule to detect  the
Node Add and Node Delete traps issued by netmon (IBM_NVADD and IBM_NVDEL),
check if they are the type of device I would include in the seedfile by
querying a database field or collection, and call a script to edit the
seedfile accordingly.  For routers,  the scripts could do further processing
to determine if a loopback address is configured, if other interfaces have a
name associated with the device, etc., and add the appropriate name or
address to the seedfile.  It would be REALLY nice to be able to be able to
delete the device via CLI and clean up the map too....  I need to do some
testing to determine what info is available in the database and how
up-to-date the collections are at the time of trap receipt.

Thoughts / comments?  Tricks to do the delete from the map that I haven't
heard about?

Re: the nearest interface on the router being used to issue the trap.  This
gets particularly messy if there are multiple nearest interfaces (i.e. for
redundancy).  On Cisco routers, and perhaps others, the interface used as
the trap source can be configured on the router.  The syntax for Cisco is:

snmp-server trap-source <interface-name>

Since we don't have loopback addresses configured on most of our routers
:-( , I'm careful to specify the interface name that has the IP address that
is set up in DNS for reverse lookups.

Regards,
Karin