nv-l

Re: Netview Seed File with oid's

2000-03-29 20:50:28
Subject: Re: Netview Seed File with oid's
From: lclark AT us.ibm DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:50:28 -0500

I think this is a fairly common issue, the trade-off between control
and the adminstrative burden it entails.

If I were letting routers be discovered by whatever interface is
found, I would just add matching names to the hosts file for those
interfaces,
without bothering with the delete/rediscover. I would override the DNS
with /etc/hosts entries for those interfaces (on AIX this is done in
/etc/netsvc.conf with hosts=local,bind, Solaris does it differently).
I might set up a collection (smartset) that contains things without name
resolution, and, if needed, things that  have goofy interface-oriented
names that need changing. Treat that as an after-discovery to-do list.

I have found it to be very useful to have consistent name resolution
not only on the loopback, but also on the nearest interface, since
that is usually the one that the traps come in from. It allows me to
correlate events with objects on the map, among other things.

Anybody else?

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

"Jewan, P. (Pritesh)" <PriteshJ AT nedcor DOT com>@tkg.com on 03/29/2000
06:59:50
PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com