nv-l

Re: (NV) - Export DISPLAY

2000-03-29 10:16:19
Subject: Re: (NV) - Export DISPLAY
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:16:19 -0500

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.  Of course you could always
write a two line script which exports the display to whatever you pass in,
     #!/bin/ksh
     export DISPLAY="$1:0.0"
     ovxecho  <message>
or you could use the "-d" flag on ovxecho without exporting the display:
     #!/bin/ksh
     ovxecho -d "$1:0.0"  <message>
And you could make your script more complicated so that you could pass in
multiple destinations and have it loop through them.  But most of the time, the
locations you want the pop-ups to go are well-known in advance.  So you could
just issue
multiple ones in the same script:
     ovxecho -d <joe's machine>:0.0  <message>  &
     ovxecho -d <mary's machine>:0.0 <message> &
     ovxecho -d <bill's machine>:0.0 <message>
Make sure you use the "&" to make them background tasks else the second will not
start until the first one is complete (acknowledged by the intended operator),
and the third won't start until the second one is complete.  When you
"background" them they execute in parallel.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Jose Roberto Antunes <antunes AT telesc.com DOT br> on 03/29/2000 09:43:47 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>