nv-l

snmp disconnects

2000-03-20 20:07:59
Subject: snmp disconnects
From: "Jeff W" <jeffw411 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:07:59 EST
I have 4 servers running solaris 2.6 and netview 5.1.1. Since the
installation of netview a few months ago, I have been receiving "can't talk
to snmpd" errors with the. This happens when I launch netview as root or
when I stop and start netmon. When the application is launched as root it
takes about 6min, then the GUI launches but I receive the same snmp error. I
recycle snmpd on the server and all works fine till the next startup of the
application or stop/start of netmon. The community names as far I can tell
are setup correctly in the snmp configuration on netview. I have been
working with Tivoli for about two weeks on this, we have upgrade the snmp
agent on the servers, started the snmpd with additional options such as -f
0, which was suppose to fix one of solaris snmpd problems. I have started
sending them trace files etc. but no fix at this time. Has anyone else seen
or heard of similar problems?
Also, does anyone have a sample snmpd.conf file for a Sun Solaris box
running Netview they could share? Our Unix admin folks don't have much
experience setting up snmp for system management, sure would help to see how
other are setting it up.

Thanks,
Jeff Wornstaff
Sr. Network Architect
Lockheed Martin
"This is my router, there are many like it but this one is mine."