nv-l

RE: Cisco Devices: AdminStatus vs. OperStatus

2000-03-09 19:27:12
Subject: RE: Cisco Devices: AdminStatus vs. OperStatus
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber AT usaa DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:27:12 -0600
Think of the two MIB objects this way:
        ifAdminStatus is the DESIRED state of the interface
        ifOperStatus is the ACTUAL state of the interface

I usually set the ifAdminStatus MIB object to shut down an interface, which
is the same MIB object that is "set" if you shut down an interface through
the device configuration, e.g. log in to a router, enter config mode, and
enter the "shutdown" command on an interface.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber AT USAA DOT com    "
http://www.usaa.com