nv-l

Netview/AIX permissions problem

2000-03-09 08:32:28
Subject: Netview/AIX permissions problem
From: mjaedike AT venatorgroup DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:32:28 -0500

Good morning everyone,
Hope someone can help the rookie figure this one out.

Environment:  One Netview for Unix 5.1.2 server running on AIX 4.2.1.

I recently upgraded to 5.1.2 from 5.1. I did nothing different from my previous
installs. But, now
the capacity planner that uses Netview snmpColDump command and other things
cannot
execute commands under his userid, which he was always able to do before.
I'm including his note so I don't mis-interpret what he is doing.

Two quesiton's I have though. Is there anywhere I can read what the permisions
for each directory
and file should be ? Has anyone else encountered a situation where the directory
and file permisions
where changed during an install ?

Now, on to the problem as described by the user:

*********************************************************************************************************************
Under my own ID, uedts37.staff, when I try to use the snmpColDump command with
the -r option to replace/reset the contents of a database file after it has been
dumped off, I get the error:

     snmpColDump: open(/usr/OV/databases/snmpCollect/#fInOctets.1) of tmp file
failed
     :Permission denied

The permissions for the command are:

     -r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       107049 Aug 20 1999
/usr/OV/bin/snmpColDump

and the permissions for the data directory are:

     drwxr-sr-x   2 root     sys        80896 Mar 08 08:17
/usr/OV/databases/snmpCollect

I also noticed that now I can't do the xnmcollect command under my own ID
either.  It gives me the error:

     Could not lock file "/usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf"
     Could not fopen "/usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf" :Permission denied(errno:13)

The permissions for this command are:

     -r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       338734 Aug 20 1999
/usr/OV/bin/xnmcollect

and the permissions for the file are:

     -rw-r-Sr--   1 root     sys         8285 Mar 02 08:25
/usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf

What needs to change for me to be able to do these Netview commands, and
possibly others, under my own ID instead of under root?  What is the best way to
accomplish this?
Michael Jaedike - Software Analyst
Venator Group
E-mail:   mjaedike AT venatorgroup DOT com