nv-l

False Interface downs after netview daemons down during weekly ba ckup

2000-03-01 11:05:25
Subject: False Interface downs after netview daemons down during weekly ba ckup
From: "Mull, John" <jmull AT HERSHEYS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:05:25 -0500
Hi Netview Forum Readers-
Looking for anyone that may have experienced the same type of problem after
bringing down the Netview daemons for weekly
maintenance (backup).

Running Netview V5.1.1 on Solaris V2.6
Tivoli Framework V3.6.1

Each Sunday a script is run to kill any GUI user sessions still running and
then an ovstop.  Then a Netbackup is scheduled of the Netview filesystem.
After the backup is complete, an ovstart is executed.

Immediately when netmon begins synchronization, I receive 35 interface downs
from the same nodes each week.  These nodes are
3COM Hubs, switches and a few APC UPSs..  I am unable to ping these devices
from the Netview GUI, and of course on the map they are in a critical red
status.  From a command line telnet session, I am unable to ping these
nodes.  From a WINDOWS 95 command line I am unable to ping or traceroute
these nodes.  The networks to these switches are not congested, all of them
have large WAN pipes.  Other components on their same subnets are fine.  All
routers are fine.  Pretty sure no DNS problems.  We have tried to upgrade
microcode on the 3COM hubs, this has not helped.  Another strange finding,
all these interfaces come back 3 hours and 30 minutes after being reported
down.  Every week..same timeframe..

>From a previous List Forum post sent to me by Leslie Clark (Thanks Leslie!)
it appears other folks experienced a somewhat similar problem..
This problems happens because when you've unplugged this port the
entry in   the switch ARP-table and Netview ARP-table were refreshed
(possible
deleted). Netview wasn't able to translate IP to MAC and consequently wasn't
able to find the machine.

However our remote device are not getting unplugged.  I am trying to
understand how this arp table on the remote component and
Netview is related.  I have a pmr open with support, but they seem to be
puzzled as much as I am.

Any thoughts out there would  be appreciated?

Thanks

John Mull
Information Technology & Integration
Process Technologist, Enterprise Systems Management
Hershey Foods Corp.
(717)534-7959
email:jmull AT hersheys DOT com

Any comments or statements made are not
necessarily those of Hershey Foods Corporation