nv-l

Question about large rules

2000-01-27 13:55:12
Subject: Question about large rules
From: Patrick McNeil <patrick_mcneil AT yahoo DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:55:12 -0600
Hello,

I have been busy implementing several rules have a couple of questions
regarding the rules.   First off, I have the following rules:
1. Node down to Node up
2. Interface down to Interface up
3. Interface down to Node down
4. Interface up to node up
5. Cisco Dial-backup line detection (i.e. dial backup is active for a
location).

All of the above rules are working for our site.

My questions are:
1. Is there any performance difference between having a single rule that
contains all the rules above vs. having 5 different rules to be processed?
2. Is anyone doing some fault correlation type rules?  What I mean by that
is if Router A is behind Router B and Router B goes down, don't page on
Router A.  I have been working on solving that problem and have not been
able to come up with an easy way of doing this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Patrick