nv-l

Re: integrating TEC & NetView

2000-01-25 12:12:46
Subject: Re: integrating TEC & NetView
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT SKILLS-1ST.CO DOT UK>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:12:46 +0000
I have a solution that does something like you are asking for but as
James said, you have to write a few bits and pieces - it doesn't come
"straight out of the box".

My approach is to have Sentry run a script on the NetViewServer host
whenever a threshold is exceeded.  This gets around needing snmptrap on
all your DM nodes.  The NetViewServer script issues the change status
NetView trap (58916871??).  To decide WHAT icon to change the status of,
I use APM from NetView, configured via NetView MLM, to create an APM
icon for each node with DM - the icon is called Tivoli_DM and exists
inside the node submap of each node that has DM on it.  I use user2
(purple) status to represent SYSTEM changes, leaving red/yellow/green
for NetView, so my change status trap changes the DM icon within a
NetView node, to purple.  I reset the purple status from a NetView menu
item that I have configured in a registration file - it simply sends the
change status trap again with a status of normal.

Be aware that this approach gives you extra colour-sensitive icons in
NetView - it doesn't do anything for a TEC operator who only has a TEC
console to look at (though I do tend to forward my Sentry thresholds to
TEC also so a TEC operator will get a usual, 1-liner event on a DM
threshold).

Regards, Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565