nv-l

Re: 3COM CB9000 mibs

2000-01-20 07:14:25
Subject: Re: 3COM CB9000 mibs
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:14:25 -0500
No, not exactly.  There are two mibloaders and browsers in NetView, a V1 version
and a V2 version.  If your MIB contains V2 constructs then you must use the V2
version, obviously.  There are some V2 constructs which the even the V2 loader
has trouble with, because the V2 standard was changed dramatically AFTER the
draft standard was published, do to political differences in the IETF.

 But most vendors have no trouble producing a V1 version of their MIB (the
SMICng compiler, which most of them use to build MIBs, will do this for them as
an option) which NetView's V1 loader and browser has no trouble with.  Even with
the missing constructs in the V2 loader as shipped in 5.1.2, the only one that
is critical that I am aware of is BITS, which is a redefinition of OCTET STRING,
and this can be easily changed to a textual convention if required.  There is an
APAR open to add this construct to the current V2 loader, but this will take
time to do.  So in my opinion, 3Com is just complaining about an issue that has
been the case in NetView for years that they do not want to have to deal with,
but should not be news to them.  They have been building V1 versions of their
MIBs for a long time now and should know better.

If you would like to post details of your errors here, I will try to advise you
about them.  If you want real, personal help, then call Support, because we have
excellent Level 2 people who have dealt with this issue, though not these
specific MIBs, before.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Drew Van Order <dvanorder AT DTTUS DOT COM> on 01/19/2000 09:21:19 PM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>