nv-l

Node Down Event Generation

2000-01-19 12:29:14
Subject: Node Down Event Generation
From: Patrick McNeil <patrick_mcneil AT yahoo DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:29:14 -0600
I have run into an interesting situation.  I have several sites that go down
on a regular basis.  I have event rules setup to correlate the Interface
down to interface up and interface down to node down, thus accomplishing
sending only a single page for each of the devices.

The problem I am having is that a node down event is not sent for some of
the sites (however a node up is sent).  I was wondering what actually
generates a node down event?

I have looked at these sites and they all have the following configuration:
1 Serial connection (in 2 of the sites they have about 5 serial)
2 Ethernet connections (1 administratively down)
1 loop back address.

What I was wondering is since the administratively down interface never
sends an interface down message (since it was already down), does a node
down message not get generated?

Since there are only a few (about 12) sites like this now, I can modify the
rules to accommodate this for now, but I would like a different fix if it is
available.

My net view system is still only running 5.1.1 if that makes a difference.
We will soon be upgrading to the 5.1.2 version.

Patrick