nv-l

Monitoring Network Traffic using Netview 5.1

2000-01-10 17:11:42
Subject: Monitoring Network Traffic using Netview 5.1
From: Indy Chakrabarti <indy.chakrabarti AT ewllc DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:11:42 -0600
I am trying to monitor the incoming network traffic for a website server. I
am wondering whether using Netview to monitor the interface traffic is
enough to get an accurate picture of the load on the network, or do I need
to add my own MIB application that will do a better job of measuring all the
packets. Basically I need to know if measuring interface traffic is
tantamount to measuring all network traffic, and thus gauging network
performance and bandwidth usage.

Thanks for any help.