nv-l

polling for default routing entries

2000-01-07 13:12:56
Subject: polling for default routing entries
From: "Fendrick, Gib (CC-MIS)" <Gib.Fendrick AT CONAGRA DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:12:56 -0600
Hi all.

I have two Netview/AIX 5.1.1 systems running (production and development).
When we do a Demand Poll on the prod system, it will take about 4 minutes.
And the CPU on the router will shoot up to approx 60% during this time.
The Demand poll display spends most of this time on 'get default routing
entry'.

When we do a Demand Poll on the development system, it takes about 15
seconds.
NO spike in CPU on the router.  No waiting for 'get default routing entry'.
(Actually spends most
of this time waiting to time out on an interface that's down).

It seems to have something to do with the routing table, which on the router
in question is about
1500 route entries.  Is there something we might have done that is
influencing how NetView retrieves
this table?   I've check the SNMP Configuration with the GUI on both
systems, they are the same.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gib Fendrick