nv-l

Re: Trap Processing

1999-12-17 10:11:55
Subject: Re: Trap Processing
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:11:55 -0500
This doesn't have to be complicated.  You can do it in one line just as the
example shows you.
For NetView traps, which always have the hostname in var 2 and the trap
description in var 3, something like this should work fine.   I have used my own
email address -- please use yours.

echo "$NVATTR_2  sent this alert $NVATTR_3"  |  mailx -s "Alert from $NVATTR_2"
james.shanks AT tivoli DOT com

For other traps, you have to decide what you want to say in the body of the note
and what variables you want to send.  See the note on environment variables in
The NetView Administrator's Guide to see how you reference the enterprise id
($NVE),
the specific alert number ($NVS) and so on.    Whatever you put in the first set
of double quotes is in the body of the note and whatever is in the second set
after the -s is the subject line.     Try it with a test message  to your id
from the command line (obviously you cannot reference the $NVATTR vars there
unless you set them first) and make sure it works before putting it in your
ruleset.    Just  put that whole command in the box for an Action node.

To send the same message from a trap as an automatic action, use xnmtrap to
modify the trap definition, and put this version of the command in that box:

 echo "$2  sent this alert $3"  |  mailx -s "Alert from $2"
james.shanks AT tivoli DOT com

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Clay David (rti1dwc)" <rti1dwc AT ISMD.UPS DOT COM> on 12/16/99 05:25:11 PM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>