nv-l

Re: Best way to limit discovery

1999-12-09 10:03:16
Subject: Re: Best way to limit discovery
From: Art DeBuigny <debuigny AT DALLAS DOT NET>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:03:16 -0600
Jim;

Be very careful in using OID's in your seed file.  When an OID is contained in a
seed file, NetView will create a stub object in your database for EACH and EVERY
device it finds on your network.  These objects are not real objects, but a sort
of a marker telling NetView not to consider that device again in autodiscovery.
Still, depending on the size of your network, you are talking about a very huge
database just to keep all those stubs lying around.

If your going to use OID's, you might as well use only OID's.  That way, you
will only discover the OID's in your seed file, and you don't have to worry
about IP address ranges at all.

But what I would do is try and document your hubs and add them manually using
the loadhosts command.  We have found that if you can't define a range of ip
addresses for a particular type of object, it is a big hassle trying to keep the
NetView database clean of extraneous devices.

Art DeBuigny
Bank of America Network Operations
debuigny AT dallas DOT net
art.debuigny AT bankofamerica DOT com