nv-l

Re: Unknown trap 1.3.6.1.2.1.11 generic 4, specific 0

1999-12-07 18:06:10
Subject: Re: Unknown trap 1.3.6.1.2.1.11 generic 4, specific 0
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:06:10 -0500
Can't help with your specific question but no matter what enterprise, a generic
4 specific 0 is an "authentication failure" or basically a "bad community name"
trap.  It means that someone did an SNMP operation and did not supply the
correct community name for it.   It is my understanding that you are not
required to define the standard SNMP traps (generic 1 - 5) in a MIB because they
are not vendor specific, and by using the mib-2 OID I would guess that is what
the agent who sent them is implying.   Sorry but I don't know much about the
even the standard snmpd agent on NT.  Is there one running on those boxes?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Graeme Nelson <GNELSON AT MACQUARIE.COM DOT AU> on 12/07/99 04:12:19 PM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>